Having an MBBS degree is a matter of repute, and many kids grow up with the dream of doing so. However, the cost of obtaining the same is rising every year and achieving that becomes an impossibility. In that regards next door neighbour of India, Bangladesh is becoming an upcoming choice for students who wish to pursue MBBS.
As a nation, Bangladesh does not propagate the drinking of alcohol and drugs and hence it one of the safest countries in this region. Language is not an issue as English is the main mode of communication which is followed in all universities. Being close to India helps as the food preparation methods are quite similar and you do not feel the pain of being in a different country.
All the medical colleges of Bangladesh are certified and acknowledged by prestigious worldwide organisations like WHO, MCI and others. Even after obtaining your degree you are qualified to work as a doctor in any part of the world. Most importantly the curriculum of MBBS in Bangladesh is very similar to that of India; hence the shift is not a very big issue for new students.
Best Medical Colleges to Study MBBS in Bangladesh at Lowest Package
For a student aspiring to be a doctor, Bangladesh remains a viable option thanks to the affordable fee structure involved. Overall MBBS studies from any reputed college can range from anywhere between 25 -35 lakhs. This cost includes living and accommodation costs as well. This figure shows you clearly that the amount of investment required for MBBS degree from Bangladesh is near about the same as that from India.
MBBS admission in any of the MCI approved medical colleges in Bangladesh is not only affordable but also provides a range of facilities which are otherwise not available. These include bank loan, direct admission, no capitation money, homely environment, etc. Apart from that, the degree you receive is not only MCI and WHO approved but receives accreditation from Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council and Ministry of health and family welfare of Bangladesh.
It is for these reasons that the number of Indian students applying for an MBBS degree from this country is increasing day by day. In other words, it can be said that by investing a similar amount you get an MBBS degree and that too in a country which seems like a home away from home.
MBBS from Bangladesh Eligibility Criteria for Indian Students
To obtain an MBBS degree from Bangladesh, there are some essential criteria that you would have to follow. Here are the eligibility criteria needed for procuring admission in MBBS degree in Bangladesh.
- Age– The student needs to have completed the age of 17 years on or before 31st December of the year he is taking admission. No kind of discrepancy in this regard would be entertained at any cost.
- Gap– An age gap of one year’s maximum is allowed in case the person wants to reappear for medical admissions. Anything above that limit will not be considered at all.
- Subjects– Students are applying for admission in the MBBS course in Bangladesh should have completed their 12th with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology from a reputed school. The scoring percentage should be above 60 % in all the major subjects. Bangladesh welcomes students from India, Maldives, Sri Lanka, and Gulf countries.
- NEET exam– As per MCI latest guidelines you must appear for NEET exam and clear it; however, there may be variations to this rule.
Documents Required for MBBS in Bangladesh 2019
No admission will happen if you do not have sufficient valid documents to prove your authenticity. For admission in MBBS course in Bangladesh, you would have to provide the following documents, and they are mandatory.
- A valid passport
- Birth certificate proving nationality
- Bank account (individual or joint with parents)
- School passing certificate/ mark sheet
- A certificate of leaving the school
- Six passport-sized photos of the student
- Admission letter and equivalence certificate
- College fees transfer proof
An absence of any of them can hamper your chances of getting an admission. Though these are essential documents the college could ask for more certificates and information, and it would be better if you have all your papers sorted.
Why is Study MBBS in Bangladesh a Good Decision?
In the last few decades, Bangladesh has shown a vast improvement in terms of the quality of education that is being offered. It is now a prime destination for all international students who wish to pursue an MBBS degree at a reasonable cost. These are some of the other reasons why studying MBBS in the country of Bangladesh is a wise decision.
- In comparison to other developed countries the quality of education offered is exceptionally high.
- The fee structure is reasonable and at par with that of India hence the pinch on a pocket is not noticed.
- A student studying in the medical colleges of Bangladesh gets the chance to attend conferences and seminars conducted in other universities thus enhancing their knowledge.
- Presence of experienced and skilled staff which maintains the quality of education given.
- MCI in India recognises medical degrees of Bangladesh colleges. So once your course is over, you can come back and work in India with ease.
- Accommodation rates are cheaper, and you receive all the necessary facilities without spending much money from your pocket.
Few Challenges faced in MBBS in Bangladesh
In spite of the advantages, there are always hurdles in the path to get any degree, and the same applies to Bangladesh. Read on to know more about the challenges that you may have to pass if you want admission in MBBS degree in Bangladesh.
- Quality of Education– Bangladesh as a country is still progressing. Hence the quality of education is still in its nascent stages too. Though they are trying best to cope up visible difference remains.
- Islamic Extremist– There have been instances of Islamic extremism in Bangladesh, and often civilians fall prey to that. Hence security remains a significant concern even though the country tries its best to maintain the decorum.
- Innovations– Apart from the quality of any significant changes in the medical field take some time before they are implemented in Bangladesh. This is because the country faces financial crunch and it is tough for them to move with the changing times.
Facilities Provided to Indian Students in Bangladesh
Having plenty of high-level medical colleges Bangladesh is proving to be a lucrative choice for MBBS aspirants from different countries. It also provides various types of medical courses suiting your requirements. Apart from that Indian student staying in Bangladesh get the following facilities:
- Language benefit as Hindi and Bengali is commonly spoken along with English being used as the mode of studies.
- Education and medical education system resemble India in terms of course content and duration.
- Delicious homemade Indian food served at most hostels.
- MCI recognised degree; hence after completion, you can come back and work in India.
- Affordable accommodation and living options.
- Similar environment as that of India reducing chances of feeling out of place.
Course Duration of MBBS in Bangladesh
When we talk about an MBBS course in Bangladesh, then we should also tell you that here the focus is put on providing a strong clinical base to the students. The duration of the course ideally all over the country is five years. After this time is over you, have to undergo an internship of 1 year more thus extending your stay to total six years.
There is a semester system that is diligently followed in Bangladesh and each semester duration lasts for about six months. Mode of instruction supported is English throughout. Whatever be the college the MBBS degree of Bangladesh can be divided into Preclinical, Para-clinical and Clinical phase. If you are interested in applying for an MBBS degree in Bangladesh, you need to send your application by August or September that year.
MBBS Fee Structure for Studying in Bangladesh
Though Bangladesh is one of the few countries which offer affordable MBBS degree, before leaping it is advisable that you have a look at its fee structure.
College Tuition Fee
Dhaka National Medical College 3,308,078
Bangladesh Medical College 3,101,311
Khwaja Yunus Ali Medical College 2,943,582
Southern Medical College 2,687,948
Barind Medical College 2,532,849
Monno Medical College 2,567,077
Tairunnessa Memorial Medical College 2,738,215
Eastern Medical College 3,080,483
Enam Medical College 3,080,483
Uttara Adhunik Medical College 30, 50,000
Some of these colleges have the hostel fees included in the overall costing mentioned. However, there are also a few colleges who take charge of around 7000 Rupees per month as the cost of availing hostel facilities. There are some other overhead costs of living which cannot be mentioned here.
Advantages of Studying MBBS Course in Bangladesh for Indian Students
- The most important factor that works in favour of studying for an MBBS degree in Bangladesh is its costing. No one can deny the fact that in almost a similar package you are getting a chance to avail high-quality education at par with international standards.
- It is said that if you are a SAARC student, you can get your tuition fees total waived off. In that case, you would have to pay your living cost which is a good enough idea.
- No language training required as English is used as a point of contact. Also, you don’t have difficulty communicating with people as Hindi and Bengali are spoken widely.
- There is no need to pay any donation or capitation fees to take admission.
- MCI and WHO approve all colleges in Bangladesh.
Disadvantages of Studying MBBS Course in Bangladesh
- To avail of SAARC admission, you need to get 95% marks in your 12th standard which is tough.
- You also need to find that the college you shortlisted is also approved from the Bangladesh Ministry of health and family welfare.
- Even though Bengali is spoken here, it is slightly different from that of India, and you have to be a little adept to take advantage of the same.
- If you have had more than two years of gap after 12th, you cannot seek admission in a Medical college in Bangladesh.
- You need to find out that in your internship can you observe the patients only or you are allowed touching and handling too.
Job Opportunities in India after MBBS from Bangladesh
Getting an MBBS degree from Bangladesh works in favour of the students as the courses are MCI approved. Once they have received their degree, they can come back to India and get a job here. Apart from that, they are also eligible for applying for government job openings for doctors. Moreover, you can also aim to apply for a PG level degree in the USA based on the degree that they have received. To do that there is no need for clearing your MCI exam. The PG degree would get you high paying jobs in India and other countries as well.
1) What is the total cost of MBBS in Bangladesh?
The fees for the total duration of courses in Bangladesh range from anywhere between 25-35 lakhs. Though some colleges consider the hostel fees as part of this overall cost others may charge 7000 rupees fees per month. The living costs of staying in Bangladesh are not very high, and you can efficiently complete your education in as much as the same cost as that of an MBBS from India.
2) Does Indian Student Require Passport & Visa to study in Bangladesh?
Yes, a valid Passport and Visa are required to study in Bangladesh. Student Visa is issued to those who wish to complete their MBBS degree in Bangladesh. In fact, without the passport and Visa, you cannot expect your admission to move forward.
3) What is the list of MCI Approved Medical Colleges in Bangladesh?
Most of the medical colleges in Bangladesh are approved by MCI which is an added advantage to all the Indian students. Here is a list of their names.
Dhaka Medical College
Sir Salimullah Medical College
Mymensingh Medical College
Sher-E-Bangla Medical College
Faridpur Medical College
Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College
M.A.G. Osmani Medical College
Armed Forces Medical College
Rajshahi Medical College
Rangpur Medical College
Khulna Medical College
Shaheed Ziaur Rahman Medical College,
Dinajpur Medical College
Chittagong Medical College
Comilla Medical College