Study MBBS in China – Direct Admission,Lowest Fees for Indian
Being a doctor wearing a white coat, carrying a stethoscope and saving lives is one dream that the majority of Indian children grow up seeing. And are supported by most parents as well. However, as they grow up and face the cut-throat competition in India for the medical entrance examinations, the enormity of the task starts dawning on them. The limited seats available in government medical colleges and the high fees of private medical colleges make it seem impossible to attain a medical degree.
You need not put your dream away due to this reality. Yes, there is a lot of competition in India. But, that cannot stop you from completing your medical education. There are many countries providing MBBS degrees to Indian students at an affordable price — one of the prominent and sought after destinations for Indian students to get a medical degree in China.
Best Medical Colleges to Study MBBS in China at Lowest Package
There are numerous advantages of going for an MBBS in China, the first and foremost being some of the best medical colleges. These are also the Medical Council of India (MCI) approved, and hence, any Indian students studying for MBBS in China can come back and practice in India.
Since the admission process for Medical Colleges in China is pretty simple and straightforward for students from India, it is easy to get admission in the best medical colleges in China as compared to the colleges in India.
The course structure of the best medical colleges is quite similar to that in India, with a 6-year course structure including studies as well as a mandatory residential internship. There is also flexibility for the Indian students studying in an MCI approved college in China that allows them to complete their course in China and then come back and complete their internship in India. These along with the obvious lower costs, make students opt Indian for pursuing their MBBS in some of the best medical colleges in China.
MBBS from China Eligibility Criteria for Indian Students
The admission process for the Indian students to the MBBS course in China is much simpler as compared to the admission process for Indian medical colleges. The candidate must ensure that they are aware of the eligibility criteria before applying to a medical college in China. Below is a list of the eligibility criteria a candidate must comply with
Nationality – To get admission via the International Quota, the candidate must be of non-Chinese nationality.
Age Limit – The candidate must have completed at least 17 years of age at the time of applying and should not be over 26 years of age.
Entrance Score – There is no entrance examination for Indian students, as the medical colleges consider the aggregate score of Physics, Chemistry and Biology in 10 + 2 examinations. The cut-off score requires from college to college. While most of the colleges require an aggregate score of 50%, some of the top medical colleges in China need the candidate to have scored aggregate 75% or more in their 10+2 examinations. The specific eligibility criteria, in terms of the entrance score, should be cross-checked from the college website at the time of applying.
NEET Eligibility – Another criteria being considered by some of the best medical colleges in China is that the candidate must be NEET – UG qualified.
Documents Required for MBBS in China 2019
Once you have checked and ensured compliance with the eligibility criteria, the next step of the process would be to apply for admissions. You will need to send one full set of documents to the colleges for verification and validation of the details being mentioned in your application form. The documents that will be required for applying for MBBS courses in China in the year 2019 are
- Mark sheet of 10th standard (scanned copy)
- Mark sheet of 12th standard or equivalent (scanned copy)
- School leaving certificate (scanned copy)
- Copy of the Indian passport (scanned copy) – must be valid for at least the next 18 months
- Copy of NEET – UG 2019 scorecard (scanned copy)
After the application, you will have to provide some other documents, at subsequent stages, before completion of the process. These additional documents will include
- Birth Certificate in English. If it is not in English, but a local language, the same needs to be translated into English and notarised.
- Medical test reports including HIV test reports
- Authorisation of all documents by Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi
- Legalisation of all documents by the concerned embassy
- Photograph (as per specification, generally 4.5 cm X 3.5 cm)
- Official Invitation letter from the medical university (required for Visa processing)
- Bank receipt of the payment made for the entire first year’s tuition fees. (not required by all universities. However, some medical colleges may ask for the upfront payment of the fees)
Why is Study MBBS in China a Good Decision?
There are several reasons as to why studying MBBS in China is a good decision, especially for Indian students. Below is a list of some of the prominent reasons, why you should consider MBBS from China as an alternative
- Affordability – The first thought associated with the MBBS courses in India is the exorbitant amount charged by the private medical colleges and the scarcity of government medical colleges. That is not the case in China, where the cost of studying MBBS is considerably lower.
- Simple Admission Process – The next barrier for most students is the entrance examination. However, to secure admission to an MBBS course in China is a much simpler, systematic and streamlined process, without any entrance exam.
- Exposure and Experience – Studying and interning in a country with the world’s largest population, the exposure available to the students is very high and the more experience they get, the better it is.
- Recognised Degree – The MBBS degree granted by the medical colleges in China has recognized the world over including by the WHO and MCI.
- Secure Environment – China is a peaceful country with a rich cultural heritage. It is a great opportunity for students studying MBBS from a medical college in China to interact and absorb this lovely culture.
Few Challenges Faced in MBBS in China
Studying in a new country; however, it does come with its own unique set of challenges and studying MBBS in medical colleges in China is not above this. The international students like the ones from India may face some of the challenges like
- Communication Issues – Since English is not the first language for most of the citizens, following instructions during the curriculum and especially during the internship this may pose a serious challenge. There will be interpreters for sure, but it is not the same as interacting directly with the patients.
- Lack of Hands-On Experience – It is very common to practice on dummies in medical colleges in China, during the course, rather than dead bodies. Thus, the practical experience remains relatively incomplete even after the completion of the course.
- Ranking of Medical Colleges – Even the MCI approved medical colleges in China may lie in the Category ‘C’ of colleges as per MCI. There are very few Category ‘A’ and Category ‘B’ colleges.
Facilities provided to Indian Students in China
Moving out of the familiar environment of the home and country can be unnerving. That may not need to be so for Indian Students in China as there are several facilities available, making it easier to transition into a new environment for these crucial five years of their life. Some facilities a student may expect are…
- Easy availability of accommodation and food
- Safe and secure environment for the students to concentrate on the studies
- Low cost of living and affordable services
- Special scholarships for international students
Course Duration of MBBS in China
The course duration of MBBS in China is six years. It follows the standard 5-year studies + 1-year residential internship pattern. Some colleges allow the students to come back to India for their internship as these are the Medical Council of India (MCI) approved medical colleges.
MBBS Fee Structure for Studying in China
Every year the Medical Council of India (MCI) releases a list of MCI approved medical colleges in China, where Indian students can apply for MBBS Course. Below is a list of some of the MCI approved medical colleges in China, for the academic year 2019-20 along with their fee structure for the year.
|Name of University||Tuition Fee (INR) per year||Hostel Fee (INR) per year|
|China Medical University||4,00,000||40,000|
|Nanjing Medical University||3,40,000||60,000|
|Xi’an Jiaotong University||4,00,000||87,000|
Apart from the Tuition Fee and the Hostel Fee, several other charges may be needed to be borne by the student
- Admission Fee (one time, required for some universities and not all)
- Medical Insurance of about 60,000 to 80,000 INR
Advantages of Studying MBBS Course in China for Indian Students
Multiple industry reports show that there is an increase in the number of Indian students opting for MBBS from medical colleges in China. This trend is a result of the fact that there are several advantages that students of Indian nationality get while pursuing MBBS from China including.
- The official language of communication being English, it is straightforward for Indians to communicate and follow the course instructions.
- The admission process is extremely simple, and no entrance examination is conducted, thereby making it easier for Indian students to secure admission
- The cost of the course, as well as the cost of living, is much less as compared to the fee charged by the private medical colleges in India, bringing MBBS from China within reach for a more significant number of students
- Most of the Chinese universities are approved and recognised by MCI, so the students can practice in India after completing their MBBS from an MCI approved medical college in China
Disadvantages of Studying MBBS Course in China
Despite the potential advantage of studying MBBS from China, there are certain situations where the Indian students can find themselves at a disadvantage
- Knowledge of at least basic Chinese is required to get around in the country
- The accent and diction of the Chinese people speaking English can be difficult for an Indian student to follow and this is especially troubling during internships when they have to interact with the patients directly.
- After completing their MBBS from a medical college in China, the students have to appear for a screening test conducted by before they can practice in India
Job Opportunities in India after MBBS from China
The Job opportunities for a student completing their MBBS from China are same as that of someone completing their studies in India, with a slight difference – they need to qualify a screening test conducted by the MCI. Most of the colleges are MCI approved. Hence this doesn’t pose many challenges, generally speaking.
Ques 1: What is the total cost of MBBS in China?
Ans: The average total cost of MBBS in China varies from INR 2.5 to 5.6 lakhs per annum
Ques 2: How is Jilin University for studying MBBS?
Ans 2: Jilin University is one of the top ten medical universities in China and is MCI approved, hence is highly sought after by Indian students.
Ques 3: Does Indian Student Require Passport & Visa to study in China?
Ans 3: Yes Indian students must have both a passport (valid for the next 18 months) and a Visa to study in China.
Ques 4: What is the list of MCI Approved Medical Colleges in China?
Ans 4: MCI releases a new list every year for approved medical colleges in China. Some of the universities in the MCI approved list for 2019 are:
- Jilin University
- China Medical University
- Nanjing Medical University
- Xi’an Jiaotong University