Best Medical Colleges To Study MBBS in Germany at Lowest Package
Germany is one of the most technologically advanced nations in Europe. It has one of the largest economies and has a rich history of pioneering research and inventions. Thereby it can become a preferred location of studying a course like MBBS for several Indian students. A career in the field of research and sciences has a great perspective in Germany. The nation can vouch for great research standards and globally recognised courses with some great personalities in the faculty.
Apart from the rich environment of science and research, the country is known for its great climate, a minimum rate of crime and therefore, one of the safest countries for overseas students. Along with the comparatively low-cost tuition fee, the cost of living is also reasonable. There are several MCI-recognized MBBS degrees which are also globally recognized certified by international organizations. For these reasons, Germany is one of the best countries in Europe and worldwide for quality medical education.
MBBS From Germany Eligibility Criteria For Indian Students
As with most colleges outside India, the MCI (Medical Council of India) certification holds great importance. The MCI or the FMGE (Foreign Medical Graduates Examination) is fairly easy to pass and holds the gateway to admission to several colleges of Europe including Germany. Apart from that, there is no need for any entrance tests. The students must hold a good academic record, especially in the 10th and 12th board examinations. Most courses are offered in English, and therefore no extra language is necessary. However, holding an edge in German can give some advantages to living in Germany. The student must attain a good score in science subjects like physics, chemistry, and biology with a minimum 60% score. Other academic achievements also matter deeply in determining the eligibility of a candidate in these universities. The academic achievements in school or college, work and internship experiences, and extra skills like computer efficiency can greatly boost the eligibility parameters. One must also keep a record of Letter of Recommendations from teachers which are meant to certify student’s ability for university standards. A good essay for the Statement of purpose also holds great importance in determining one’s admission.
Documents required for MBBS in Germany in 2019
One requires the following documents to get admission in Germany.
- Birth certificate, transfer certificate and migration certificate- these documents can easily be provided by your college authorities on informing of new admission.
- 10th and 12th board examination mark sheet.
- Health certificate mentioning any disabilities or diseases. HIV test reports must be included.
- Updated and valid passport.
- Six passport size photos for admission records.
One must also acquire a visa for studying in any part of Europe including Germany. One must apply for the visa while getting the admission. The following documents are required for the visa.
- Travel identification documents which should be updated at least three months before the lapse date.
- Documentation to verify plans and reasons to stay in Europe must be produced.
- A document to verify the schedule of the journey.
- Two verified passport size photographs.
- Medical and travel insurance.
- Bank receipt to demonstrate the handling charges to be paid.
- Letter of acknowledgment from the new college.
Why is Studying MBBS in Germany a good decision?
Germany is among the top preferences for Indian students to study MBBS because of the very low cost of the course compared to other universities. These universities are recognised all over the world for a first-class education. Moreover, several people find Germany to be a beautiful country in terms of visually pleasing landscapes and also the peaceful environment with minimum crime rates. There’s also a rich culture of diversity in this small country exploring which can be a very fun-filled exercise. German universities have established their excellent teaching methods. This internationally renowned degree can give one excellent job and research prospects on a global scale. These universities also offer some outstanding academic programs which combine theory and practice.
Few Challenges faced in MBBS in Germany
Despite the several opportunities offered by the country, there are still challenges faced by several students.
- The high cost of living- Even though the tuition fees in several colleges here is free of cost or comparatively subsidized, there are still costs of living to be covered by the individual. Therefore, the costs of studying remain high for several candidates, and it’s quite a challenge to overcome.
- Language barrier- English is the main language of teaching in universities for international students, but learning German becomes important to live in the country. Moreover, the accent and dialect are distinctly different which may make an Indian feel lost. It is a common problem faced by many Indians, and the locals might often make fun of it. It’s up to you not to take language criticism at heart and move on with your studies.
- Cultural outsider- Germany is a beautiful country with nice people, but they have their cultural practices which might make an outsider feel odd sometimes. Moreover, it becomes more difficult when one is far away from their support system of friends and family. People might make fun of you again, but one should try to move on and not make a huge deal unless it’s too extreme.
Facilities Provided to Indian Students in Germany
Germany has been a great host for several international students and has been successfully providing free education to a great number of students. A great many courses are offered in English for the benefit of the students. They also have a growing pool of employment prospects which is open to all these students to enrich their career. Therefore, in terms of educational investment, Germany is one of the best options to study and ensure a good future in term of career and skill. The country is among the safest for students regulating strict policies to reduce crimes, especially among students. It also provides several work and internship opportunities for the student during their course so that they can earn their living and also work on their practical skills and know-how.
Course Duration of MBBS in Germany
Most of the colleges offer a 6-year program for MBBS including the main program of 5 years and final year of internship. The medical student has three stages to go through to become a certified doctor in Germany. The first year is used to teach clinical studies to students. The second stage includes two years which is followed by the exams. The third stage involves 48 weeks of practical, oral and written examination of clinical studies. Several colleges also offer one year for language learning to become proficient in German and learning the local speech and dialect.
MBBS Fee Structure for Studying in Germany
While the tuition fees for MBBS main curriculum is free of cost, one may include other expenses while deciding their budget to study in this country. The language course offered in the first year costs around five lakhs. Accommodation and living costs can go beyond 50, 000 INR per month. Including all these expenses, studying in Germany still comes at a costly package of around 12 lakhs for the entire course. Compared to the private institution setting in India, the cost is still pretty convenient. Work hours are also allowed for students after their first-year language course with a cap of wages (550 Rupees per hour). This can be used up in the accommodation and other expenses to stay in the country.
Advantages of Studying MBBS course in Germany for Indian students
- Free of cost tuition fees.
- Exploring a beautiful country.
- Great work and internship opportunities with renowned organizations.
- Universities recognized by MCI, FAIMER, ECTS and world organizations like UNESCO and WHO.
- Welcoming and safe environment for overseas students.
- Germany is a world leader in medical technology and equipment.
- Part-time work allowed while studying.
- Remuneration scheme during PG courses of around 20 lacs INR.
Disadvantages of Studying MBBS course in Germany
- Bureaucratic environment
- Extra facilities are not covered in subsidies.
- Language Barrier and difficulty of learning German.
- Extremely rigid course structure
- Admission is very competitive and even restrictive at times.
Job Opportunities in India after MBBS from Germany
While several of the medical professionals have acquired their degrees prefer to stay in Germany for their career, India too has a welcoming scenario for doctors acquiring their degrees from Germany. Having acquired a good professional degree, most of these doctors have good job opportunities in India as well. Having cleared the MCI screening test, there’s not much hassle to be faced to attain a good paying job in government or the private sector. They are also eligible to teach and host conferences on research and other biological issues. Doctors from German are especially renowned for their high training in skill to operate and are often considered to be among the best of the lot.
What is the total cost of MBBS in Germany?
Cost of studying in Germany is among the cheapest and in some of the universities, there’s almost nil tuition fee required. Some of the colleges include one year for language learning and then the MBBS course in the budget. The tuition fee comes around 10, 000 Euros per year which includes subsidized tuition fee for the main MBBS course. The living cost stays around 50, 000 INR per month. Students are given work permit of 20 hours per week with a cap on wages to earn INR 550 per hour. Working in the first year is not allowed while learning the language. Therefore, it is quite cost effective compared to other colleges in Europe and even India. Among the top three universities which offer free MBBS courses are Magdeburg University, Munster University, and Heidelberg University.
Does an Indian Student Require a Passport and visa to study in Germany?
Yes, a passport and a visa are among the few essentials one requires while applying in Germany. One should have their passport updated before applying for the visa. One should apply for the visa at least three months before moving to university. While applying for the visa, one requires the following documents- one filled application form, updated passport, academic records, copy of bank receipt to demonstrate sufficient funds, invitation letter by the university and two passport size photos. All the documents should have a declaration of authenticity. The embassy of Germany may also run a check for criminal records given their safety standards. The National Visa and not the Schengen Visa is required to study in Germany. The student must also apply for RP (Residential permit) on arriving in the destination city in Germany.
What is the list of MCI Approved Medical Colleges in Germany?
There are three universities in Germany which are MCI approved in the convenience of Indian students as per the given list.
- Humboldt University
- Philipps University
- University of Heidelberg