A career in medicine is a long cherished dream for many Indian students, who toil day in and day out to make this dream come true. However, with the recognition and prestige associated with the profession, the number of aspirants has exponentially increased over the past decades. This situation makes it exceedingly difficult for the students to get admissions in government medical colleges, as the seats have not increased proportionately.
This leaves the option of studying in private medical colleges, where the high fees are not within reach of the majority of the students. The next best option which the students have started exploring is to get their MBBS from foreign medical universities. This opens up a huge opportunity as there are many countries where Indian students can study MBBS based on their marks in India. Russia is one such welcoming country, where the Indian students have increasingly opted to pursue their MBBS.
There are several advantages for Indian students choosing to pursue their MBBS from a medical college in Russia, and we will be taking a comprehensive look at the entire process from admission to the vistas this education opens up for the students in this article.
Best Medical Colleges to Study MBBS in Russia at Lowest Package
The medical colleges in Russia are amongst some of the best in the world, and their students are well recognised around the world. The biggest positive factor for Indian students looking to study MBBS from Russia is, nearly all the Russian universities are approved by authorities like WHO, FAIMER, IMED and Medical Council of India. Hence, you can choose the best and have the comfort of knowing that you are studying in one of the MCI approved colleges in Russia.
Another major influencing factor is that the best medical colleges in Russia are still quite affordable for students from middle-class families. This is a big boon for those aspiring to become doctors and not having the means to afford the high fees of private medical colleges in India.
The admission process for admission to study MBBS in the best medical colleges of Russia starts somewhere in June and July, and the classes begin in September. Every year the MCI comes up with a list of the best medical colleges in Russia which can easily be referred to make a decision. It is advised to check the medium of instruction for these colleges before applying for a course in them.
MBBS from Russia Eligibility Criteria for Indian Students
Although getting an admission in a good medical college is quite easy for students, it is important to carefully look for the eligibility criteria to get in an MBBS course in Russia for Indian students. The eligibility criteria for most colleges is the same and is outlined below
- Nationality – The candidate must hold an Indian passport, which is valid at least for the next 18 months, to prove their nationality, when applying for a medical college on a seat reserved for international participants.
- Age – The candidate must have completed at least 17 years of age to study MBBS in any of the Russian medical colleges.
- Marks – Since there is no entrance exam conducted to enrol in MBBS course in Russia for Indian students, it is their aggregate score in 10+2 that is considered. Most of the medical universities ask for at least aggregate 50% marks in Physics, Chemistry and Biology. Some of the colleges may ask for a higher aggregate score for admission to Indian students.
- Entrance Exam Score – Although no entrance exam is conducted by the Russian universities, the candidate is expected to have qualified NEET – UG for the year in which they are taking admission.
Documents Required for MBBS in Russia 2019
When you apply for admission to an MBBS course in Russia, you will be required to submit the following documents with your application.
- Mark sheet of 10th standard (scanned copy)
- Mark sheet of 12th standard or equivalent (scanned copy)
- School Leaving certificate (scanned copy)
- Passport (scanned copy)
- NEET scorecard (scanned copy)
Once the admission process begins, you will be required to submit further documents at subsequent stages of the entire process and Visa application. These documents may include but are not restricted to the following.
- Birth Certificate in English. If it is not available in English, it needs to be translated and then notarised
- Notarization of all the academic qualification documents
- Validation of all the documents from the respective embassy
- Invitation letter from the medical university in Russia offering you admission
- Bank receipt of the payment of the first instalment of fees (can be the fees for the entire first year for some universities)
Why Study MBBS in Russia is a Good Decision?
When deciding whether or not to study MBBS in Russia, there can be multiple viewpoints as suggested by people. However, as an Indian student planning to go for studying an MCI approved medical college in Russia, you need to make an informed decision. Below are some pointers on why choosing to do this could be a good decision
- Recognised Colleges – The first and most critical reason are supporting this decision would be the fact that Russian medical colleges are some of the best universities in the world and find themselves among the top 30 medical universities in the world. This in itself speaks of the quality of education that you are going to receive.
- Affordable Education – A major concern for all medical aspirants in India is the cost associated with the entire course since it is a long term course (5 – 6 years). Hence, the fact that the cost of studying MBBS in the MCI approved medical colleges in Russia, is much lower than the Indian private medical colleges, is a great opportunity for students having limited means.
- The medium of Communication – The medium of communication in some of the best medical colleges in Russia is completely English. Thus, the students going to these medical universities will not face the language barrier and can conveniently complete their studies.
- Course Format – The course structure for MBBS in Russia is similar to the one followed in India (5 years of study, followed by one year of residential internships). Thus, it becomes easier for students to complete their MBBS in Russia and then come back and practice in India.
- MCI Recognition – The medical colleges in Russia are almost all recognised by the Medical Council of India (MCI) apart from other world agencies, making it possible for the students to come back to India after their course and start their practice. Also, due to the recognition, the Indian students undertaking MBBS courses in Russia can practice in other countries of the world as well.
Few Challenges faced in MBBS in Russia
Any new endeavour in life is not without its own set of unique challenges and going to study MBBS in a medical college in Russia for an Indian student is no exception. Of course, there are many reasons for making it an attractive option. It is better to be aware of the challenges you may face after going ahead. At best, it helps you to be prepared. Some of the challenges that you may face during your MBBS course in Russia are
- Language Barrier – The first and biggest challenge anyone can face in an overseas location is the language barrier. Russian being quite different from English and the common language of communication, it may be difficult initially to communicate with colleagues and patients on a day to day basis.
- The medium of Instruction – Not all medical colleges in Russia impart education fully in English. There are broadly three types of colleges based on the medium of instruction. These classifications are
- Fully in English: These colleges provide the courses throughout the six years in English only
- Partially in English, Partially in Russian: These colleges have Russian as the medium of instruction in the first three years and English for the next three years
- Fully in Russian: These colleges deliver the entire course duration of 6 years in Russian only
Hence, it is very important to check the medium of instruction of the medical college you are applying to.
- Preparation for MCI Screening Test – Once you have completed your MBBS course from a medical college in Russia and want to practice in India, you will be required to appear for a screening test being conducted by the Medical Council of India (MCI). There will be no classroom training available for preparing for this exam in Russia, and you may have to search for online courses.
- Medical College Status – It is possible that some of the colleges you apply to are not full-fledged medical colleges. Instead, they could be small faculties of the medicine being run in a college. Hence, it is essential to find out in detail about the college you are applying to.
Facilities provided to Indian Students in Russia
While studying at a medical college in Russia comes with its own set of challenges, there are several facilities available to you by being an Indian student. India and Russia share a lot of history, culture and tradition and Indians are well loved in the country. Hence, the Indian students in Russia are at an advantage and can avail the following facilities
- Low cost of living coupled with some of the best infrastructure availability helps in the overall growth of the student
- The ready availability of affordable accommodation as well as Indian food is a blessing when staying away from home for nearly six years
- The students can apply for a scholarship from the Government of Russia and complete the entire course free of cost
- The sports and extra-curricular facilities provided by the universities complete the overall experience.
- The Indian students can return to India after their course and practice just by clearing the screening exam conducted by the MCI. No additional processes are required.
Course Duration of MBBS in Russia
The fact that 30 out of the 100 best medical universities in the world are from Russia speaks volumes about the quality of education received by the students pursuing their MBBS in Russia. This also lends to the fact that the course structure followed by all the major medical universities in Russia follow a standard pattern as per international standards.
The colleges under the medical universities of Russia, follow the 6-year course duration. For the first 5 years, the student is expected to attend classes and study. The 6th year is dedicated for a mandatory full year, residential internship.
MBBS Fee Structure for Studying in Russia
One of the biggest advantages for Indian students applying to MBBS courses in Russia is the low-cost advantage. The average fees for MBBS in Russia can range anywhere between 3500 to 6000 USD per year for the entire course. The fee structure for some of the top colleges in Russia is outlined below for the academic year 2019 – 2020
Name of University Tuition Fees per year Hostel Fees per year
Crimean Federal University 4250 USD 600 USD
Ryazan Medical University 5500 USD 2400 USD
People’s Friendship University of Russia 9000 USD 1500 USD
Irkutsk Medical University 5000 USD – 1st Year 800 USD
4000 USD – Remaining years
Kazan Federal University 5400 USD 1000 USD
Siberian State Medical University 5200 USD 1200 USD
Volgograd State Medical University 7500 USD 1400 USD
Altai State Medical University 5200 USD – 1st Year 500 USD
3700 USD – Remaining years
Bashkir State Medical University 5150 USD – the 1st year 1000 USD
3650 USD – Remaining years
Dagestan State Medical University 3000 USD 1000 USD
Novosibirsk State Medical University 5700 USD – the 1st Year 1000 USD
4000 USD – Remaining years
Apart from the Tuition Fees and the Hostel Fees, the students also have to bear the following costs while studying in Russia
- Medical Insurance Cost – 100 – 200 USD per year
- Visa Extension Fees – 100 -150 USD per year
- Food Cost – 100 – 130 USD per year
*All the above costs are mentioned in USD. The exchange rate for USD to INR may change. Currently, it is approximately INR 72 = 1 USD.
The official currency in Russia is the Rouble, and the exchange rate is approximately 1 INR = 1.03 Roubles
Advantages of Studying MBBS Course in Russia for Indian Students
There are several advantages for Indian students looking to pursue their MBBS from an MCI approved medical college in Russia. This has led to an unprecedented increase in the number of Indian students opting for the same. Some of the biggest advantages are
- An opportunity to study in some of the highest ranked medical colleges in the world. This directly translates to the great infrastructure and the quality of education possible to be attained.
- A simple entry process depending solely on the aggregate marks and not on any entrance examination score is a gift for all Indian students.
- The medium of instruction is English, and there is no extra effort required initially. However, for students willing to take the course in Russian, there are options to learn Russian before getting into the course directly.
- Stringent regulation by the Government of Russia ensures the quality of education and the facilities are maintained as per the expected standards.
- Affordable cost of living as well as Fee structure helps to increase the reach of the education to an audience otherwise difficult to reach.
- Options of winning scholarships from the government of Russia to further subsidise the already low-cost education is a huge benefit for students having limited means.
- Almost all are MCI approved medical colleges, making it easy for the students to come back and practice in India post completion of their course.
Disadvantages of Studying MBBS Course in Russia
Like every coin has two sides, every decision that you take in life has disadvantages along with advantages. Below are some of the disadvantages that Indian students may have when they decide to pursue their MBBS course from MCI approved medical colleges in Russia
- The medium of instruction is not English in all medical colleges. Hence, the Indian students not know Russian may have the fewer option of colleges to choose from
- Even if you get admission in a medical college in Russia, where the medium of instruction is English; day to day life may be difficult for you initially, since Russian is the language of communication
- The weather of Russia is extremely cold, and many students find it extremely difficult to adjust to the sub-zero temperatures the country has to offer.
- Coming back to India after the course and practising has one more layer of screening, viz. the screening exam conducted by the Medical Council of India. You must clear this exam, before you can start practising medicine in India, after your MBBS course in Russia. During the MBBS, there is no support available for you to practice for this exam.
Job Opportunities in India after MBBS from Russia
The good part of undertaking a medical course like MBBS from Russia is the fact that you can practice medicine in India once you are back. The course structure being similar, you meet almost all the criteria for practising in India. The only extra step is to appear for and clear the screening exam being conducted by the MCI every year.
Once you have cleared the MCI screening test, you have the same job opportunities as available to those who have completed their MBBS from India only.
Ques 1: What is the total cost of MBBS in Russia?
Ans 1: The total cost of MBBS in Russia differs from university to university. Some universities have constant tuition fees for the entire duration of the course, while others have a varying structure with the fees for the first year being slightly higher. Still, others charge a one-time admission fee in the first year.
The total cost includes several factors including tuition fees, hostel fees, medical insurance cost, food cost, accommodation cost (if the hostel is not available) and visa extension fees. Thus, the overall cost of studying MBBS in Russia comes somewhere between 4000 USD to 8000 USD per year.
Ques 2: How is Crimean Federal University for studying MBBS?
Ans 2: The Crimean Federal University is one of the best universities for studying MBBS in Russia. It is highly preferred by Indian students for a multitude of reasons including its high ranking and accreditation in the world, the medium of instruction being fully English, extremely vibrant culture and great facilities being made available to the students.
Ques 3: Do Indian Students Require Passport & Visa to study in Russia?
Ans 3: Yes, the Indian students mandatorily require Passport and Visa to study MBBS in Russia. The Passport is required right from the application stage. The Visa can be applied for once the candidate has secured admission. The visa needs to be extended every year for the entire duration of the course.
Ques 4: What is the list of MCI Approved Medical Colleges in Russia?
Ans 4: Given the great track record of the medical colleges in Russia and their featuring in the best medical colleges in the world, nearly all are MCI approved medical colleges in Russia. This is one of the reasons that makes Russia an attractive destination for Indian students to study MBBS. Below is a list of some of the MCI approved medical colleges in Russia
- Altai State Medical University
- Bashkir State Medical University
- Crimean Federal University
- Ryazan Medical University
- People’s Friendship University of Russia
- Irkutsk Medical University
- Kazan Federal University
- Siberian State Medical University
- Volgograd State Medical University
- Dagestan State Medical University
- Novosibirsk State Medical University